Monday, January 6, 2014

Jack - A One-Year Old Beagle/Bulldog Mix

One of the things I'm working on is building my "walk and train" business. Jack is the first dog I am officially doing "walk and train" with. I've done similar work before but now I've come up with a name for my work ("walk and train"...very original, don't you think?) and a concept. The basic theory is if an owner is unable to work with me in a traditional trainer manner where the owner is involved in the training, I can effect change in the dog by my structured walks combined with training of the dog and addressing the dog's behavioral issues. 


Jack is a young dog who had a rough start in life. As a tiny puppy, he found himself in a pet store where he was purchased. The first owner quickly decided they had made a mistake. Sadly, this resulted in Jack winding up in a municipal shelter. After a brief stint in the home of one of the town shelter's employees, Jack found his current home. 

This bouncy pup is a ball of energy. He needs exercise...of his mind as well as his body. He is learning his basic obedience and social skills from me.

Today it was raining so we went for a brief walk (and a chance for him to relieve himself). We worked on his impulse control when a person walked by. Jack did very well as he normally is very eager to greet...overeager one might say. Afterwards we spent time in his home working further on impulse control. Yes, Jack, you must leave the piece of food alone until I say otherwise. It's not easy for him, but each day he learns a little more.

While I prefer to have the owner (or the owning family) involved and participating in training the dog, when this is not possible, there is still an improvement. His owners see him becoming a better behaved dog because he is learning in his own environment what he should and should not do. It's much like training dogs in a shelter (which I have done for many years). The process may be slower, but the end is eventually met. All for the love of dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment